True. The reluctance of large segments of the public to accept climate science stems from many sources, not just ineffective communication, including:
- competing issues of deep concern, especially the economy
- a universal human tendency to deny bad news that we feel helpless to change
- isolation of science from society, and confusion about scientific uncertainty
- growing mistrust of authority and "experts" generally
- fragmentation of news media and where people get their information
- a well-funded disinformation campaign to make it appear scientists are divided
- ideologies that strongly oppose to any new taxes or government regulation of industry.
More effective communication is only one small part of the solution, and turgid, creative language is only one part of effective communication. That's why we've included other Tools, such as tips for effective communication, alternative climate narratives, examples of great presentations, and more.